Logo

DIYForums.org

Do It Yourself!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:04 am
DIYForums.org Home Page

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:12 pm 

I got the tube ring shield from eBay ( from seller hardwarehouse)

Some more pics of the internal of my MH. Build with Kiwame resistors, Nichicon Muse KZ and Black Gate electrolytics capacitors, 1% polystyrene bypass caps, MKC for the output capacitors and of course a Diamond Buffer is on board :P . An AMB ε12 muting delay circuit provides protection for my headphones. The amp is powered by an 27V (2x13,5V) PS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:28 pm 

Ferrari wrote:
I got the tube ring shield from eBay ( from seller hardwarehouse)

Some more pics of the internal of my MH. Build with Kiwame resistors, Nichicon Muse KZ and Black Gate electrolytics capacitors, 1% polystyrene bypass caps, MKC for the output capacitors and of course a Diamond Buffer is on board :P . An AMB ε12 muting delay circuit provides protection for my headphones. The amp is powered by an 27V (2x13,5V) PS.

Wow, it is breath taking!!! Those Kiwame and polystrene certainly enhance the tube characteristic.

Would you mind elaborate on the caps used on C7R and C7L? Shouldn't they be electrolytic?

Also, can you elaborate on those blue caps on the perf board?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:18 pm 

The output capacitors (C7L/R) does not need to be electrolytic. The reason that these caps are specified as electrolytic in the BOM is because of the value (470uF) / size ratio and maybe because it's easy to get. The output capacitors are there to block the DC voltage, only the AC signals (music) can get through and for this task it's doesn't matter if the output capacitors are film type or electrolytics (but the sound does matter).

The MKC film caps at the ouput of the MH (C7L/R) does make a (big) different in sound quality comparing to generic electrolytics capacitors. On the MH, besides the tubes- and buffer types, the output capacitors (C7L/R) can make or break the sound of your amp. I have tried several types electrolytics capacitors from different brands (BC, Elna, Nichicon, Black Gate, Panasonic...) but only 2 types: Black Gate NX en Nichicon Muse ES//220nF MKP can deliver fairly good sound to my ear, however they are not at the same level. I know that this is a very sensitive subject and I do belief that the best cap is NO cap at all, but if when you have to use it, be selective! A good alternative at low cost is probably Nichicon Muse ES//small MKP cap, I think. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:25 am 

Ferrari wrote:
The output capacitors (C7L/R) does not need to be electrolytic. The reason that these caps are specified as electrolytic in the BOM is because of the value (470uF) / size ratio and maybe because it's easy to get. The output capacitors are there to block the DC voltage, only the AC signals (music) can get through and for this task it's doesn't matter if the output capacitors are film type or electrolytics (but the sound does matter).

The MKC film caps at the ouput of the MH (C7L/R) does make a (big) different in sound quality comparing to generic electrolytics capacitors. On the MH, besides the tubes- and buffer types, the output capacitors (C7L/R) can make or break the sound of your amp. I have tried several types electrolytics capacitors from different brands (BC, Elna, Nichicon, Black Gate, Panasonic...) but only 2 types: Black Gate NX en Nichicon Muse ES//220nF MKP can deliver fairly good sound to my ear, however they are not at the same level. I know that this is a very sensitive subject and I do belief that the best cap is NO cap at all, but if when you have to use it, be selective! A good alternative at low cost is probably Nichicon Muse ES//small MKP cap, I think. :wink:

Thanks for the enlightenment :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:47 pm 

If you look at page 5 of this thread is my post when I first buildt it. Well here it is after i cased it up. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:12 am 

This is copied from my post over at head-fi

Finally fixed my amp after a few teething problems, and modded it whilst it was apart. Here is the amp as i recieved it from 'Tsappis' (many thanks)

Image|Image

Firstly an overview. You might notice the much redder colour. Cerafine electrolytics, BG standards at C7 bypassed with 1uF NX HI-Q BG's, Wimas, and vishday dale reisitors.

Close up of a BG. Unfortunately the legs are about 10-15mm long, and im not sure if that will have a detremental effect on the sound. They are too tall to mount vertically without cutting the top panel.

O Look he changed all the LED's to white, so it matches his PC's white cathodes and fans :D :D :D

I have a roughly cut top panel, but will eventually cut tube holes, DB ventilation holes, and possibly holes for the BG's if they stand up. Up until then itl run without a top.

Finally, il be buying a locking neutrik socket as there is an annoying mark above the jack atm which will be covered up by the larger locking sockets surround. :D

Post subject: Re: Post pictures of your Millett builds!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:09 pm 

here is one I did a few years ago...opened it up to rework the wiring and upgrade the in/out jacks and throw in some Cerafine caps I found hiding in a stash I forgot about...

Post subject: Re: Post pictures of your Millett builds!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:16 pm 

Well, I will try to post this again......

Attachments:
MillettMAX.JPG
MillettMAX.JPG [ 147.4 KiB | Viewed 11248 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12